Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Needle Painting

This isn't exactly SCA embroidery but goddamnit I'm proud of it, so you get to look at it.

This is a kit from Trish Burr and my first foray into needle painting. Turns out I really like needle painting.



And a few months after I fiiiinally finished that, I tried needle painting sans kit and came up with this rose.

Needle painting is a common technique, but mostly it comes up in the 17th century - just a little bit too late to be properly "period" for the SCA. It also comes up in Eastern embroidery, but they have a precision that I will never have the patience for. So I will just have an ongoing search for examples that aren't quite over the line of 1600. If you happen to know of any, I would love to add them to my collection. Someday there will be period needle painting for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment