Monday, March 14, 2016

What do I do next?

I've been trying to decide what to make for my next Big A&S Project.

After making Elizabethan gloves and an Elizabethan book, I feel like I should continue my trend, and then someday I can have a whole Ridiculous Elizabethan Accessories display.

But they had so many potential accessories!

I could make a sweet bag!
, 16th century CE, Bag, Brocade, Elizabeth I  (1553-1603), Queen of England, Elizabethan period (1553-1603), Embroidery, Gold, Knitting, MEMORABILIA, Needlecraft, Renaissance, Sewing, TEXTILES:ALL
From Art Resource
From HistoryofEmbroidery.blogspot.com

Or a coif!
From Victoria & Albert Museum
Woman's off-white linen coif, with a point over the forehead, shaped at the cheek, and with a pleated detail at the crown. Embroidered in black silks and gold metallic yarns in a pattern of scrolling branches framing flower and fruit clusters among which birds, butterflies, snails and rabbits appear.
From Cooper Hewitt





















Or this utterly ridiculous hat!
A man's cap with turned up cuff, of off-white linen embroidered in a pattern of rainbows arching over clouds with rain falling, with snails and caterpillars interspersed. In blue, green, yellow, red and pink silks and silver metallic yarns.
From Cooper Hewitt


From Reunion des Musees Nationaux
I also discovered that embroidered knife sheaths were a thing that were given at weddings. I'm not entirely certain that they were used by Elizabethans, but I am quite certain that I don't care. Because knives!

I would need to find someone willing to work with me on this one for the wooden base of it, though.

From Reunion des Musees Nationaux












There's also the question of style and supplies. I am intrigued by non counted blackwork. But I really really want to pursue a period needle painted design. I've found enough examples that I feel comfortable saying it existed, even if it wasn't common.
From Cora Ginsburg
From Isis' Wardrobe

 One thing I know I want to avoid is detached button hole...I don't know why, but I just don't really like how it looks. Which is unfortunate, since it's everywhere. And so while I should definitely learn it eventually, it will probably never make it onto a Big Project.
I need Opinions! Are there cool items I'm missing out on? Some extant piece that you think I'd be way into recreating? Anything here seem particularly awesome?

I am currently leaning toward either a blackwork coif or a sweetbag the takes makes use of all the sweet bird motifs I've found.

No comments:

Post a Comment